Wednesday, January 21, 2009

Save the Daily Dementia News Site!!

It is thought that at least 200,000 Australians have a dementia causing condition, approximately 5,000,000 people in the United States are thought to have Alzheimer’s disease, another 700,000 are thought to have dementia in the United Kingdom and 500,000 Canadians are also thought to have either Alzheimer’s disease or a related dementia causing condition.

Say each person with dementia has two people who love them (that’s an underestimation) and we have (6,400,000 x 3) approximately 18 million people in the Western world alone directly affected by these diseases.

Yet here at Daily Dementia News we average currently about 60 readers a day, despite people from over 50 countries visiting….??!

It takes me about four hours a day (after I finish my full time job), to search out dementia related news articles, and from the comments I receive it is greatly appreciated by those that have found the site. Unfortunately, the way the World Wide Web works, means it is not easy for people to find my site, unless they type in the perfect key words into a search engine or are a member of one of the Yahoo groups I am also a member of.

My friends and family think I am crazy for doing this website, they tell me I should give it up and that obviously from my visitor numbers nobody really wants a page like mine.

I, as a person ‘Touched By Dementia’ myself think a site like my own is really good for people who are faced with the challenges dementia brings, I wouldn’t be doing this otherwise, but maybe I am wrong ? All I know is, is that I want to provide a site that conglomerates all the dementia news on the web onto one page, so it is easy to access for anyone struggling with dementia, to save people time, decrease the feeling of isolation these diseases can bring and increase awareness.

So here’s where I need your help. If you think this site is worthwhile spread the word.

If you are a member of a dementia support group, if you know people with dementia related websites, if you regularly speak to people involved in dementia care, TELL them about DDN!!

If you have a website of your own, please consider linking to the DDN page.

If you know someone with a website of their own, suggest that they link to the DDN page.

Tell the dementia relevant associations and societies that you are involved with about the site, tell them you think the site is worthwhile.

Even do what a friend of mine did, and stick up a poster about the website in your local medical centre or nursing home.

Do anything you think might help increase the site’s visibility, so that I can justify to friends and family what I am doing.

I personally think that helping 60 people a day is worthwhile, but if I could really make this site visible then I could really be proud of what I have achieved.

I appreciate your consideration of my plea.

Regards,

N.S.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Dementia News Room ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP