Monday, January 26, 2009

Barry's World: Writing from the Sufferer's Perspective

I am writing from the sufferer’s perspective of how the illness affects me, like at this very moment as I’m trying to type this it’s a public holiday here and the local children are going crazy laughing and shouting as they run in and out of our garden, my wife, mother-in-law and neighbours have also gathered in the garden and all seem to be talking at the same time as loudly as possible so they can be overheard by one and all, our next door neighbour has decided his motor bike needs some repair and is revving up the bike at full throttle, at the same time the teenagers in our house are all talking excitedly and laughing as there hand phones all start playing different ring tones, to say that my mind is in total turmoil at this time would be an understatement but such are the affects of excessive noises on the already confused mind, the problem being that the confused mind cant take all the different distractions to the brain at the same time.

Even so I still manage to laugh at myself and all the stupid mistakes I make when typing as even with my illness and as serious a condition as it is I’m a strong believer in that as sufferers we should still laugh at ourselves and our forgetfulness and try to turn such things into a quip as I did the other day when my wife found me searching the house she asked what was I looking for, I said I cant find my newspaper, we searched high and low but still could not find it, later that day my wife went to the fridge and laughingly asked ‘why is the newspaper in the fridge’ I quickly replied ‘to many hot issues in the paper so I put it in there to cool down’ yes we must still laugh at ourselves as it makes the days a lot easier to deal with.

Now here are two amusing little bits of nonsense from my confused brain but in some way relate to the reality of our illness!

'DEMENTIA SURPRISE'
As a past Globe trotting Master Baker and Confectioner I had recipes in my brain to meet every occasion and I don’t see why Dementia should be left of the list so here is my WORLD renowned recipe that I formulated.

Measurements............. Ingredients
• 150grm...............Not interested in anything anymore
• 100grm.............. Wandering totally lost
• 100grm..............Absolute forgetfulness
• 150grm..............Disorientation
• 1 teaspoon........Where and what am I doing
• Pinch..................Depression to taste
• Few drops..........Shed a tear


Method:
1. Put into a large mixing bowl/container, Mix together until completely Agitated, Confused, and going in Circles.
2. Put in cake tin and bake in the oven ‘not the fridge’ for 30 minutes but don’t forget the time.
3. Once stressed out has cooled! Decorate with lashings of family love and affection, and then top off with lasting memories of past life.

‘TO LET'
I’ve just been reading an English newspaper about the depression in the property market when this advert came to mind!
The following has just come on the market for immediate occupancy:
• “Cranium Cottage” set in a gorgeous location with vast open spaces within the area of Dementia Estate
• This highly desirable space has become vacant as the present owner can’t remember what it was used for,
• There are stunning panoramic views still to be had through cloudy eyes,
• The ‘NOW’ empty space has been with the same owner since birth,
• Internally having always been kept in good order and constant use, but now confused and in need of some renovation,
• Externally the outer shell is still in very good condition apart from some normal wear and tear,
• A light fair thatching although its now starting to thin with time,
• The space is offered empty with immediate vacant possession,
• No planning permission needed, its ready to move into,
• The said space is “RENT FREE” for the rest of life,
• Don’t miss this ONCE in a life time opportunity of a prime empty location,
• An early new occupancy is very highly desired,
• Contact now via E-A Brain: forgetfulness@WhatAmI.Doing.cells

Barry from Indonesia

No comments:

Post a Comment

Modified by Blogger Tutorial

Dementia News Room ©Template Nice Blue. Modified by Indian Monsters. Original created by http://ourblogtemplates.com

TOP